Dementia awareness day (plus optional Alzheimer’s Society Certificate in Dementia Awareness)
Time & Location
About The Event
Course provider: Alzheimer’s SocietyCourse
Level: Introductory (Dementia Training Standards Framework tier 2)
Course duration: One full day: Interactive face-to-face training
Course overview: This introductory skills-based course will equip you with the knowledge and skills to confidently support people living with dementia. You will learn about the signs and symptoms of dementia and how the condition affects behaviour, the senses and communication. This course also contains information on sight loss and dementia, which was developed in partnership with Royal National Institute of Blind People.
Made up of four core modules, this Dementia awareness training course will equip you with the tools to build positive relationships with people affected by dementia using increased knowledge, empathy and practical skills.
Alzheimer’s Society Certificate in Dementia Awareness exam: Attendees are invited to sit our Alzheimer’s Society certificate in dementia awareness exam. This multiple choice exam will test your knowledge of dementia, attitudes towards people living with dementia and understanding of person-centred care. The exam consolidates your learning from the course and, upon successful completion, you will be awarded a certificate and badge in recognition of your achievement.
Who should attend? Anyone who would like to improve their knowledge and understanding of dementia.
Learning outcomes: Made up of four core modules, you will learn:
Module 1 – ‘What’s happening?
- How dementia affects people in different ways
- The ways physical damage to the brain, caused by dementia, may create everyday functional difficulties.
Module 2 – ‘See me’
- How our memory works
- How our past can shape our future
Module 3 – ‘Strange new world’
- How difficulties with perception can have an impact on people’s well-being and responsive behaviours
- How our senses can be affected by dementia and how this can alter our experiences. Including content on dementia and sight loss developed in partnership with Royal National Institute of Blind People.
Module 4 – ‘Connect with me
- Ways of connecting with a person living with dementia
- How our own actions can affect the way a person connects with us
How methods of communication can be affected by dementia.
Why Alzheimer’s Society training? We are the largest national charity specialising in dementia and are passionate about our cause. Our trainers all have professional experience of supporting people living with dementia and our courses include the latest research, knowledge and practice from across the Society. Our training is outcome-focused, activity-based and engaging. You can be confident that you are investing in specialist training from an expert organisation that has been delivering training since 1979.
Registration is at 9am where food and refreshments will be served, the training will stat at 9.30am. Lunch , snacks and refreshments are is included throughout the day.
- Dementia day£199£1990£0
- Dementia awareness + exam£228£2280£0